Everyone knows that rhinoplasty, or a ‘nose job,’ can change the shape of your nose. What everyone doesn’t realize is how much of an impact this can have on a patient’s emotional, mental, and even physical well-being. When performed by a skilled facial plastic surgeon, rhinoplasty surgery offers many more amazing benefits than just a rounded tip or the removal of a hump. If you’re considering rhinoplasty, consider the many ways this important surgery could positively impact your life.
Physical Benefits of Rhinoplasty
Some of the most obvious benefits of rhinoplasty can be seen plainly on the face. From a cosmetic standpoint, rhinoplasty offers many benefits to patients with crooked, too large, and too small noses. There are many different reasons for patients to seek rhinoplasty to correct the form of their nose. These may include:
- Reduce the size of the nose
- Increase the size of the nose
- Changing the shape of the tip (i.e. too round or too pointy)
- Reduce the size of the nostrils
- Widen the nostrils
- Change the angle of the tip of the nose
- Create a larger or smaller gap between the nose and upper lip
- Correct a hooked nose
- Correct a crooked nose
- Remove a hump or bump from the bridge of the nose
- Improve the proportion of the nose to the other facial features
If you don’t see your complaint about your nose on this list, that doesn’t mean it can’t be corrected by rhinoplasty surgery. Consult with a facial plastic surgeon about your specific nasal issue to get started on the road to correcting it.
Health Benefits of Rhinoplasty
Many people want to breathe a little easier in life and that’s not just an expression anymore. In fact, your local pharmacy is probably chocked full of different products that can improve your breathing, from nose strips to humidifiers to saline nasal sprays. We all want to find an easier way to improve our own oxygen flow. For many patients, rhinoplasty can accomplish this goal just by making changes to the airways. Correcting a deviated septum and widening the nostrils are just some of the ways that a surgeon can take steps to your easier breathing.
Obviously, breathing better can cause a ripple effect in your health, even leading toward a better night’s sleep. If you’ve been suffering from breathing problems, then you know how troublesome they can be. When sleep apnea is caused by some kind of nasal issue, rhinoplasty can both improve your breathing and your sleeping patterns by eliminating the problem surgically. To determine if rhinoplasty could help you sleep more easily, talk to your primary care physician and facial plastic surgeon for a complete look at your health issues and the right solution to them.
Emotional Benefits of Rhinoplasty
Whether you’re choosing rhinoplasty to correct the form or function of your nose, you’re going to notice the amazing change this surgery will cause for your emotional health as well. In fact, rhinoplasty can touch many parts of your life, leading to an improvement in self-confidence and ending negative talk you have about yourself. Of course, all rhinoplasty patients should enter into their surgery with realistic goals for their surgery and a full understanding of the implications of surgery. No procedure can fix emotional damage unless you are open to the healing process yourself, but rhinoplasty could give you the tools you need to begin. Look for your rhinoplasty results to impact you in several ways:
- Changing your personal view of yourself. If you’ve centered a lot of your negative energy toward a nose you can’t stand, rhinoplasty can give you some relief and allow you to shift your attitude.
- Better self-confidence and self-esteem. Once you start to feel good about the way you look after your rhinoplasty heals, these good feelings start to shine through you.
- Workplace success. Especially if you’ve gained some new confidence from your new nose, your career outlook might start to improve. Your attitude drives how others perceive you, especially your coworkers and your boss.
- End bullying. Especially for teens, rhinoplasty can help correct a nasal issue that has attracted negative attention from school bullies. While the behavior is wrong to begin with, it can be very painful for a teen to endure. Rhinoplasty could provide a solution under extreme circumstances.
Rhinoplasty is certainly not a magic cure for the bad feelings you might have about your appearance, but with realistic expectations, the support of your friends and family, and the right facial plastic surgeon, it could be the beginning of your road to better emotional health.
Start Benefiting From Your Own Rhinoplasty
If you want your nose job results to give you these amazing benefits, start by consulting with a facial plastic surgeon experienced with rhinoplasty surgeries and different types of patients. Dr. Philip Miller has specialized exclusively in facial plastic surgery, offering over 20 years of experience and knowledge to his patients. A recognized expert in rhinoplasty, Dr. Miller has been frequently invited to share his specific techniques with his peers at various national facial plastic surgery meetings. He has been voted among the Best Doctors in America each year since 2007 and has also been named a Top Doctor of New York. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Miller, contact his office located at 60 East 56th Street, Third Floor in New York City, by calling (212) 750-7100.