Your consultation is a very important part of your plastic surgery experience. It’s an opportunity to speak with your perspective surgeon and get a sense of his experience and to make sure he can meet your surgical/aesthetic expectations. Unfortunately, there are still cases where patients receive plastic surgery from an unlicensed physician in backroom offices (recently in Las Vegas), which can have bad outcomes. However, this can very easily be avoided by asking the proper questions during your consultation:
– Are you a board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery?
– Specifically, what are you board certified in?
– What hospital affiliations do you have?
– If you have an in-house O.R., is it accredited?
– How many procedures have you performed during the last year?
Going into your consultation with prepared questions and having an open dialogue will your perspective surgeon will give you the peace of mind that you’ve made the right decision.