The Many Amazing Benefits of Rhinoplasty
Everyone knows that rhinoplasty, or a ‘nose job,’ can change the shape of your nose. What everyone doesn’t realize is how much of an impact this can have on a patient’s emotional, mental, and even physical well-being. When performed by a skilled facial plastic surgeon, such as Dr. Philip Miller in New York, rhinoplasty surgery offers many more amazing benefits than just a rounded tip or the removal of a hump. If you’re considering rhinoplasty, consider the many ways this important surgery could positively impact your life.
Physical Benefits of Rhinoplasty
There are various reasons why rhinoplasty is one of the top-performed plastic surgery procedures today. Men and women looking for cosmetic enhancement might choose rhinoplasty if they are concerned about one or more of the following:
- Nose Reduction: A large nose can overpower your other facial features, while a small nose can make your other features look too prominent. Size correction brings all the features into balance, creating a more aesthetically-pleasing appearance.
- Alar Tip: Whether your tip is bulbous, drooping, or pinched, these issues can detract from the overall beauty of the face. Tip refinement is a common reason Dr. Miller performs rhinoplasty, whether it is a single concern or combined with other types of correction. Tips can be reshaped, resized, and rotated to create the best possible result.
- Nasal Dorsal Humps: A hump or bump on the dorsal bridge affects your profile and your confidence. These dorsal humps can make the nose look bigger than it is and even affect the nasal tip. Trimming away a dorsal hump can dramatically improve the look of the nose.
- Wide Nostrils: Even the size and shape of the nostrils can impact the look of the nose. Rhinoplasty can also make adjustments here to create better proportion between the bridge and base of the nose. In some cases, surgery that focuses solely on the nostrils (alarplasty) is all that is needed to achieve the desired effect.
- Pollybeak Deformity: A pollybeak deformity is a type of deformity where the tip of the nose has a drooping downward curve. This combined with a large supratip at the bridge of the nose creates a similar appearance to that of the beak of a bird, hence the name pollybeak deformity. However, with the expertise of a skilled rhinoplasty surgeon, this can be fixed through a well performed nose surgery.
- Saddlenose Deformity: A saddlenose deformity is a nasal condition that is most noticeably characterized by a lack of height or depth at the nasal dorsal. Through a rhinoplasty, an expert surgeon such as Dr. Philip Miller can reshape the nose and reduce the amount of depression in the nose.
- Hanging Columella: A hanging columella is characterized by the skin between the two nostrils hanging below the nose. There are varying degrees of how far the columella sags below the nostrils, but through a rhinoplasty, this can be treated by an expert facial plastic surgeon.
- Asymmetrical Nose: Crooked noses, uneven nostrils, or other minor imperfections can have a significant effect on the overall appearance of the nose. In some cases, these asymmetries can also affect your nasal function. Both form and function can be addressed in a single procedure, boosting your confidence and helping you breathe more easily.
If you don’t see your complaint about your nose on this list, that doesn’t mean it can’t be corrected by rhinoplasty surgery. Consult with a facial plastic surgeon, such as Dr. Philip Miller in New York, about your specific nasal issue to get started on the road to correcting it.
Health Benefits of Rhinoplasty
Many people want to breathe a little easier in life and that’s not just an expression anymore. In fact, your local pharmacy is probably chocked full of different products that can improve your breathing, from nose strips to humidifiers to saline nasal sprays. We all want to find an easier way to improve our own oxygen flow. For many patients, rhinoplasty can accomplish this goal just by making changes to the airways. Correcting a deviated septum and widening the nostrils are just some of the ways that a surgeon can take steps to your easier breathing.
Obviously, breathing better can cause a ripple effect on your health, even leading toward a better night’s sleep. If you’ve been suffering from breathing problems, then you know how troublesome they can be. When sleep apnea is caused by some kind of nasal issue, rhinoplasty can both improve your breathing and your sleeping patterns by eliminating the problem surgically. To determine if rhinoplasty could help you sleep more easily, talk to your primary care physician and facial plastic surgeon for a complete look at your health issues and the right solution to them. To learn more about rhinoplasty, visit medlineplus.gov
Emotional Benefits of Rhinoplasty
Whether you’re choosing rhinoplasty to correct the form or function of your nose, you’re going to notice the amazing change this surgery will cause for your emotional health as well. In fact, rhinoplasty can touch many parts of your life, leading to an improvement in self-confidence and ending negative talk you have about yourself. Of course, all rhinoplasty patients should enter into their surgery with realistic goals for their surgery and a full understanding of the implications of surgery. No procedure can fix emotional damage unless you are open to the healing process yourself, but rhinoplasty could give you the tools you need to begin. Look for your rhinoplasty results to impact you in several ways:
- Changing your personal view of yourself. If you’ve centered a lot of your negative energy toward a nose you can’t stand, rhinoplasty can give you some relief and allow you to shift your attitude.
- Better self-confidence and self-esteem. Once you start to feel good about the way you look after your rhinoplasty heals, these good feelings start to shine through you.
- Workplace success. Especially if you’ve gained some new confidence from your new nose, your career outlook might start to improve. Your attitude drives how others perceive you, especially your coworkers and your boss.
- End bullying. Especially for teens, rhinoplasty can help correct a nasal issue that has attracted negative attention from school bullies. While the behavior is wrong to begin with, it can be very painful for a teen to endure. Rhinoplasty could provide a solution under extreme circumstances.
Rhinoplasty is certainly not a magic cure for the bad feelings you might have about your appearance, but with realistic expectations, the support of your friends and family, and the right facial plastic surgeon, it could be the beginning of your road to better emotional health.
Start Benefiting From Your Own Rhinoplasty
If you want your nose job results to give you these amazing benefits, start by consulting with a facial plastic surgeon experienced with rhinoplasty surgeries and different types of patients. Dr. Philip Miller has specialized exclusively in facial plastic surgery, offering over 20 years of experience and knowledge to his patients.
A recognized expert in rhinoplasty, Dr. Miller has been frequently invited to share his specific techniques with his peers at various national facial plastic surgery meetings. He has been voted among the Best Doctors in America each year since 2007 and has also been named a Top Doctor of New York. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Miller, contact his office located at 60 East 56th Street, Third Floor in New York City, by calling (646) 791-3025.
Settle for Nothing But the Best Facial Plastic Surgery
Facial Plastic Surgery
Dr. Philip Miller and his team of New York's top rated facial plastic surgery experts provide custom cosmetic treatment plans that include a combination of minimally-invasive techniques and advanced procedures, to help each patient achieve the Aesthetic Confidence® they desire. Our unique NatraFace™ approach to facial rejuvenation includes the following effective procedures:
Eyelid Plastic Surgery
Dr. Miller provides patients with Manhattan's #1 customized care and treatment for smooth, supple skin that brightens the eyes and revitalizes the face. With our NatraFace™ approach, we utilize a combination of effective aesthetic techniques tailored to suit each patient’s needs. We offer:
Rhinoplasty (Nose Jobs)
Dr. Miller and his staff of NYC's best aesthetic specialists offer the NatraNose® process, which is a comprehensive range of minimally-invasive and advanced techniques to achieve natural-looking rhinoplasty results, improve nasal function, and meet the patient’s aesthetic goals. Dr. Miller specializes in nose jobs, nose reductions, non-surgical nose jobs, and more: Adjust the links in these sections as follows:
Skin Care Treatments
Widely acclaimed for our broad range of flawless skincare solutions, Philip J. Miller, MD, FACS and his team of aesthetic specialists offer customized skincare treatment plans to achieve healthy, natural-looking results. As part of our NatraLook™ process, the following procedures may be performed individually or in combination with more advanced surgical treatments for optimal rejuvenation.
The Plastic Surgery Podcast with Dr. Philip Miller
Tune into The Plastic Surgery Podcast, hosted by facial plastic surgeon Dr. Philip Miller. Dr. Miller is here to answer your questions, de-mystify plastic surgery, and help you feel more knowledgeable and empowered about any procedure performed at our center.
The Plastic Surgery Podcast
Plastic Surgery w/ Dr. Miller
If you're thinking about getting a lift, nip, or tuck, this app is for you. It's the most comprehensive pocket encyclopedia of plastic surgery terms, before and after photos, and visualization tools to help you really know what to expect from a procedure, including seeing potential results on your own photo. This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.View in App Store >