Will Scar Tissue Be an Issue After Rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty surgery can change the shape, size, and structure of the nose, delivering incredible results for the right patient. But just like any other surgery, there is one major drawback if not handled well: the potential for developing noticeable scar tissue after your healing is complete. Even rhinoplasty surgery with its well-hidden incisions can create visible scar tissue. To keep your results looking more natural without such scarring, you’ll need to take some necessary precautions.
Why Does Scar Tissue Form?
There is no such thing as a surgery without some scar tissue. When an incision is made in the skin, the body naturally creates scar tissue to heal the wounds. Scars are formed by dense, fibrous connective tissue that can seal the wound closed. Think of it as your body naturally forming a band-aid to heal a wound. It is nothing to be alarmed about, really. Once it is formed, scar tissue can sometimes be remodeled or reshaped with the help of a facial plastic surgeon or another highly trained specialist. For a rare few, the body may also produce too much scar tissue and cause problems with healing.
Where Will Scar Tissue Form After Rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty surgery can be performed in two different ways:
- Open Approach – It involves one small, well-concealed incision between the nostrils on the underside of the nose. This technique allows the greatest access to the nasal tip as well as the lower and middle third of the nose.
- Closed Approach – Also called endonasal rhinoplasty, this technique uses incisions that are exclusively made within the inside of your nostrils. This method will not leave behind any visible skin incisions.
When scar tissue forms, it will start at the location of these incisions but can become noticeable if care isn’t taken to prevent it. Patients who do experience the formation of excess scar tissue after rhinoplasty will likely develop it around the nasal tip region. Because this area may appear swollen for a time after surgery, you should raise any concerns you have about potential scarring with your facial plastic surgeon.
How Can Scar Tissue Be Prevented?
While scar tissue may be common after any surgery, there are things patients can do to reduce its occurrence:
- Avoid smoking and drinking – Nicotine constricts the blood vessels and contributes to poor healing and scarring. Alcohol, on the other hand, not only causes skin dehydration but can also promote swelling and bleeding.
- Don’t strain yourself – Any activity that causes your blood pressure to rise may increase your risk of scar tissue formation.
- Follow all recovery instructions – Guidelines are provided to help you heal faster. By taking these instructions seriously, you get to avoid complications and quickly achieve your desired results.
- Choose the right plastic surgeon – One of the best ways to prevent complications like scarring is choosing a surgeon who is board-certified, highly qualified, and experienced in the rhinoplasty procedure.
How Can Scar Tissue Be Treated?
If you experience problems with the formation of excess scar tissue following your rhinoplasty surgery, there are things you can do to reduce it, as well as medical procedures that will help you achieve more natural-looking results. Options include:
- Steroids – A series of carefully targeted cortisone steroid injections can help minimize the appearance and extensiveness of the scar tissue.
- Revision rhinoplasty – Corrective surgery can be performed to remove the scar tissue without impacting any other structures of the nose.
Adjustments can be made in both surgical and nonsurgical techniques, so start the conversation with your facial plastic surgeon today and take it from there.
Choose An Expert Facial Plastic Surgeon For Your Rhinoplasty
To learn more about rhinoplasty surgery and what you can do to minimize your scar tissue, book a consultation with a facial plastic surgeon who has years of experience in predicting procedure outcomes and giving patients the results they seek. Philip J. Miller, MD, FACS who is double-certified in facial plastic and reconstructive surgery, offers over 20 years of experience and knowledge to his patients. A recognized expert in rhinoplasty, Dr. Miller has been frequently invited to share his specific techniques with his peers at various national facial plastic surgery meetings. He has been voted among the Best Doctors in America each year since 2007, and has also been named a Top Doctor of New York. Contact Dr. Miller’s office located at 60 East 56th Street, Third Floor in New York City, by calling (646) 791-3025.
Next, learn how Rhinoplasty can Affect your Facial Features.
Settle for Nothing But the Best Facial Plastic Surgery
Facial Plastic Surgery
Dr. Philip Miller and his team of New York's top rated facial plastic surgery experts provide custom cosmetic treatment plans that include a combination of minimally-invasive techniques and advanced procedures, to help each patient achieve the Aesthetic Confidence® they desire. Our unique NatraFace™ approach to facial rejuvenation includes the following effective procedures:
Eyelid Plastic Surgery
Dr. Miller and Kaylyn Plum, PA-C provide patients with Manhattan's #1 customized care and treatment for smooth, supple skin that brightens the eyes and revitalizes the face. With our NatraFace™ approach, we utilize a combination of effective aesthetic techniques tailored to suit each patient’s needs. We offer:
Rhinoplasty (Nose Jobs)
Dr. Miller and his staff of NYC's best aesthetic specialists offer the NatraNose® process, which is a comprehensive range of minimally-invasive and advanced techniques to achieve natural-looking rhinoplasty results, improve nasal function, and meet the patient’s aesthetic goals. Dr. Miller specializes in nose jobs, nose reductions, non-surgical nose jobs, and more: Adjust the links in these sections as follows:
Skin Care Treatments
Widely acclaimed for our broad range of flawless skincare solutions, Philip J. Miller, MD, FACS and his team of aesthetic specialists offer customized skincare treatment plans to achieve healthy, natural-looking results. As part of our NatraLook™ process, the following procedures may be performed individually or in combination with more advanced surgical treatments for optimal rejuvenation.
The Plastic Surgery Podcast with Dr. Philip Miller
Tune into The Plastic Surgery Podcast, hosted by facial plastic surgeon Dr. Philip Miller. Dr. Miller is here to answer your questions, de-mystify plastic surgery, and help you feel more knowledgeable and empowered about any procedure performed at our center.
The Plastic Surgery Podcast
Plastic Surgery w/ Dr. Miller
If you're thinking about getting a lift, nip, or tuck, this app is for you. It's the most comprehensive pocket encyclopedia of plastic surgery terms, before and after photos, and visualization tools to help you really know what to expect from a procedure, including seeing potential results on your own photo. This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.View in App Store >